Rules and Deadlines
The 2014 Formula Hybrid rules have been rewritten to comply with the new FSAE rules format, and to incorporate the recommendations of the 2011 Dartmouth conference (PDF) on student electric vehicle competitions.
Formula Hybrid has three vehicle categories: Hybrid, Hybrid-In-Progress (HIP), and Electric-only.
The Hybrid category is the most challenging of all the SAE Collegiate Design Series engineering competitions, typically requiring thousands of hours of engineering and development time.
HIP is for hybrids that are still under development, such as a two-year design and build cycle. Hybrid-In-Progress vehicles can be driven on electric power.
Electric-only is for vehicles designed for battery/electric drive, and closely parallels the new FSAE Electric rules. Student teams wishing to enter a FSAE Electric vehicle in the Formula Hybrid Electric-only class should be aware that there are some rules that are different (PDF). Read all of the rules carefully!
Documents found on the Tech Support and References Page
Per 2014 Formula Hybrid Rules due
- Structural Equivalency Spreadsheet (SES), Section T3.8 2.01.2014
- Impact Attenuator Data (IA), Section T3.21 2.19.2014
- Formula Hybrid Program Information, Section A10(c) 2.19.2014
- Fuel Type Order, Section IC2.1.3 3.12.2014
- Site Pre Registration, Section A10(j) 3.12.2014
- Electrical System Form (ESF), Article EV9 3.23.2014
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Article EV9 3.23.2014
- Design Report, Section S4.2.1 3.30.2014
- Sustainability Report, Section S4.2.1 3.30.2014
- Design Specifications Sheet, Section S4.2.3 3.30.2014
- Electrical Pre-Inspection, Section S2.3 4.20.2014
Submit required documents to the Uploads Page
Notice: All required documents must be submitted before midnight UTC on the date shown.
See section A9.2.2 in the 2014 Formula Hybrid Rules.
A confirmation email will be sent when the documents are submitted. Please send information once.
- Opened for Hybrid category on Monday, October 7, 2013 10:00 AM EDT
- Opened for Electric category on Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:00 AM EDT
- Opened for entry of a 2nd team vehicle on Monday, November 4, 2013 10:00 AM EST
- Closed on Monday, December 16, 2013 11:59 PM EST