Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     Formula Hybrid Home Page

Board index » Technical - Design and Construction » Mechanical

Post subject: No driving backward ?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 pm 

Hi, Guys,

I just supposed that our formula hybrid can not drive backward with simple transmission, can it? so if the car
run out of track and hit in some block/walls on head, are we allowed to move the car
to turn the direction manually?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:50 am 

Well, that really depends. It's unlikely that you will need to reverse at all on the track. I think there will be track officials that will be able to assist in the event of a spin or crash, but you'll probably get black flagged if you hit anything other than a cone anyway.

However, if you do still want to be able to reverse, there's a couple ways I can think of doing this:

A: Find an ATV with a transmission that has reverse in it, and use that engine/transmission combo as your gasoline powered part of the drive train. Not sure what there is available in the 250cc ATV world but I can't imagine an ATV without reverse.

B: Make a way to reverse polarity to your electric motor to get it to spin backwards. Voila! Reverse! This, of course, is dependent on your motor controller, drive train layout, electric motor, etc. But it is theoretically possible.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:17 am 

As Ram Racing said if you don't get black flagged then there should be marshals around that will help you get back on the track. But if you don't want to rely on that, or you want to be able to reverse because you like driving your car in tight spaces and don't like pushing it out of the garage then you should be able to use your motor controller to reverse. Most modern good motor controllers can do at least 2 quadrant operation for all motors and 4 quadrant for the motors that support it. If your motor controller cannot directly do it then you can probably use a reversing contactor to connect either the field or the armature of your motor in reverse to your motor controller and that will give you a reverse. The only reason I can think that you should not be able to reverse is if the shaft of the motor and the engine are coupled together and your engine does not have a transmission with a neutral.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:06 pm 

I thought there was a rule that you couldn't reverse on track, but after reading through the rules (twice) I can't find it.

Board index » Technical - Design and Construction » Mechanical