Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     Formula Hybrid Home Page

Board index » Technical - Design and Construction » Mechanical

Post subject: Suspensions
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:26 am 

hi every1....
v r a recently formed hybrid race team... and we have a few doubts on how to go about the suspensions...
we have selected double wishbone-outboard suspensions... and now after selecting the length, caster, camber, kingpin etc....
as beginners, though we know where the load acts.. we are unable to get the distribution... and simulation....
can anyone suggest which software to use... for analysis of these A-Arms..?
we have solidworks and ansys... which is better? or is there any other software.. which might help me?

Thanx..:D

Post subject: Re: Suspensions
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:04 pm 

Solidworks and ANSYS will work and since you are a new team it might be better to use them over other software packages as there is a bit of a learning curve and most are quite expensive. But if you have the time/money you might try OptimumG, WinGeo, Lotus Suspension Analysis (SHARK & RAVEN), or MSC ADAMS. I am sure there a few I missed and I think there are a couple basic free ones that you can find online as well but note that you get what you pay for on those.

Post subject: Re: Suspensions
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:05 pm 

As far as just doing basic load calculations, you should be able to do that with geometry. Its a bit difficult but Milliken , Milliken gives a pretty good walk through of how to do it. If you are lazy like I am however, go to http://www.suspensioncalculator.com/ It is an open source gui that will output all your numbers for you . Hope this helps.

Board index » Technical - Design and Construction » Mechanical