Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     Formula Hybrid Home Page

Board index » Rules and Regulations » Rules

Post subject: Strobe Light
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:01 pm 

When reading the rules about the strobe light it says, "The light must be mounted to the highest point on the Main Roll Hoop..." But when I was looking at some pictures from last years event I noticed that a few teams mounted their strobe light to their head rest or to a member or bracket branching off of the roll hoop. How is this rule to be understood? Can the Strobe light be mounted to a bracket that is attached to the roll hoop?

Post subject: Re: Strobe Light
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 am 

The strobe must be mounted as high as possible so that it can be seen easily from all directions, but not in such a manner that it can be damaged in a roll-over.

Mounting to a bracket within the roll hoop is acceptable, though not in a location where the driver's helmet could contact it.

-Doug

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:21 pm 

Would this strobe light work from Federal Signal?

http://www.federalsignal-indust.com/def ... lookup=579

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:14 pm 

-
I could not find any indication that it complies with SAE J1318, (FH Rule 3.1.5) , so the answer would have to be no.

-Doug

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:00 pm 

Concerning the portion of rule 3.1.5 stating that, "It must be visible from all directions, except for those portions covered by the tubing of the main roll hoop and main roll hoop bracing" does this include the roll hoop padding? I ask because we are currently thinking about mounting the light in the location shown in the picture below and the only thing blocking it is the tubing and the padding. We currently have limitied space to pacage it and keep it in the rollover envelope as its so large but it its current location it can be seen from 360 degrees around the vehicle. Your thoughts on this?

Attachments:
File comment: Current proposed location of the HV light
Light.jpg
Light.jpg [ 118.39 KiB | Viewed 3973 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm 

wos9722 wrote:
Concerning the portion of rule 3.1.5 stating that, "It must be visible from all directions, except for those portions covered by the tubing of the main roll hoop and main roll hoop bracing" does this include the roll hoop padding? I ask because we are currently thinking about mounting the light in the location shown in the picture below and the only thing blocking it is the tubing and the padding. We currently have limitied space to pacage it and keep it in the rollover envelope as its so large but it its current location it can be seen from 360 degrees around the vehicle. Your thoughts on this?

I'm not an official rules guy, but is that motor controller properly isolated? I assume it has HV connections (for batteries and motor), and there doesn't seem to be any kind of enclosure or orange conduit (no ways to add them).

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm 

You are correct, we currently have exposed HV connections on our Kelly controller, but just for initial testing. For competition we will be implementing wireless power transfer using direct induction, as it will save us a lot of weight since we will not have to use any insulated connectors or orange conduit because there will be no physical (cable/wire) connections between our HV components. But thank you for pointing out this potential hazard and know that our EE & ECE graduate students are taking all the necessary steps to comply with both the University and SAE safety regulations.

On a side note, what are your thoughts on our current light location?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 pm 

wos9722 wrote:
On a side note, what are your thoughts on our current light location?

In my in-no-way-official-opinion, it isn't a great spot. It's hard to get a 3d feel for the roll bar supports, but behind the head rest would be better if it is still within the roll over envelope.

Rules compliance is a huge issue. I strongly recommend doing mock tech inspections with a 3rd part professor (or someone else) because there are lots of rules that are easy to miss.

Also, wiring neatness is very important. I realize you are still early in construction, but neat wiring helps get you through tech faster as well as makes the car look better for the design competition.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 pm 

Concerning the light placement, behind or above the headrest is not a feasible solution as it will either move the light out of the rollover envelope, not be easily seen from 360 degrees around the vehicle, or be in a location that the drivers helmet could contact it. The team member that designed the frame last year didn't really take into account other components such as a light, headrest, etc. leaving us with a roll hoop that we have struggled to fit Percy in. Currently our other ideas are to either get a smaller light to fit above the headrest or another light for the other side of the vehicle. We would prefer to use the light we already have and not purchase any other lights so that we save the money for other components on the vehicle. This is why I had asked about roll hoop padding, because as previously mentioned, in its proposed location only tubes and padding are blocking it.

As for the rules compliance I completely agree that they are a huge issue. I, as well as most of the senior members on the team attended competition last year and saw first hand all of the issues that teams faced with rule compliance and understanding. Causing highly competitive teams to miss dynamic events resulting in missed points that could have potentially given them a podium finish, all because they were stuck in tech. This is definitely something that we are trying to avoid up here at Idaho hence our active use of the forums and constant emailing to the judges.

I agree that the wiring neatness is a huge deal for both tech and design but when initially fitting all electrical components for both the HV and ICE to the chassis and at the same time performing initial testing of the new powertrain (all of which was taking place when the above photo was take) wiring neatness was not one of our top priorities. As we will be cleaning everything up when we tear down for a final paint come April.

Lastly, I spoke with our EE's today and we decided that we will just go ahead and make the whole vehicle wireless (HV & LV) as to avoid any issues with the wiring. This move should make the implementation of our new Flux Capacitor much much simpler. The only issues we are still running into are trying to produce the required 1.21 Jigowatts and incorporating a lightning rod into our frame design.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:56 pm 

I would suggest that you provide pictures from a few more angles and submit this as on official rules query.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:22 am 

Thank you for the suggestion and quick response, I sent in the official rules query today. I had initially thought that this was simply going to be a yes or no question/answer but after the discussion that has taken place I realize now that this is not the case. Thank you to everyone for all the input and I will keep you updated on the rules committee's decision.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:20 pm 

When looking around more for a strobe light I came across this one that is in compliance to the SAE spec, but I don't like the be black bracket on the bottom of the light. I was wondering if i were to modify the bracket and essentially cut most of it away whether or not it will still conform to the SAE J1318 class 3 standard.

Attachments:
strobe light1.png
strobe light1.png [ 203.29 KiB | Viewed 3831 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm 

My opinion is that it would be fine, as long as your mounting was still secure, and it passed the rain test. If you want an official ruling on that ahead of the competition, you'd need to submit it as a rules query.

Board index » Rules and Regulations » Rules