Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     Formula Hybrid Home Page

Board index » Rules and Regulations » Rules

Post subject: Seat back behind main roll hoop and brace
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:24 pm 

Hi,

I'm looking for a confirmation on legality of our seat/chassis setup, here are a few images:

What I'm most concerned about is having the upper portion of the seat back behind the roll hoop and roll hoop braces. I haven't seen anyone else do this, so I'm not very confident on the rules compliancy of this setup

Don't mind the double roll hoop braces in the 2nd image, we actually have two chassis over-layed on each other just for our reference purposes. Also I understand the harness bar is too low, I just used an older image file for this post.

Thank you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 pm 

I read 3.3.4 to mean that the head and hands (and helmet) must not extrude beyond the planes that define the primary structure.

This was of interest to us because we have forward-angled main hoop supports and I initially wanted to place the back of the driver's head a few inches behind the main roll hoop. I thought I read somewhere that the driver must be within the line created by the top of the main hoop and the point where the main hoop supports connect to the major structure. However, I can't find this reference in the hybrid or fsae rulebooks.

To be on the safe side, we put the driver's head completely forward of the main hoop. Rule 3.3.4: "The driver’s head and hands must not contact the ground in any rollover attitude." I think that you are fine by this rule because your driver is still protected by the main hoop supports. In our case, however, during roll over the frame is not the protecting limitation--the strength of our solid rear axle and associated suspension components is.

Would be interested to hear further rule interpretation on this.

Board index » Rules and Regulations » Rules