Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     Formula Hybrid Home Page

Board index » Rules and Regulations » Rules

Post subject: Clarification on extent of "Energy Storage Container&qu
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:25 pm 

Rule 4.6 from Main Rules (p.49):

All energy storage must be in closed containers containing normally open isolation relays wired in such a way that when an incoming "energize" signal is interrupted no voltages will be present outside of the containers. The boxes must also include an appropriately rated fuse or circuit breaker. The relays must be rated to interrupt the rated fuse current at the maximum expected voltage.

Multiple energy storage containers connected in series may be isolated by a total of two relays, provided that interconnects between the containers are protected by non-conductive conduit (See Section 4.3) anchored solidly to the containers. All voltages outside the energy storage container must decay to below 30 V within ten seconds of when the relays are disconnected. For example, filter capacitors must have bleeder resistors across them.

I'm not sure how to fully interpret this rule. Let me explain our configuration then explain my confusion.

Our setup is a series ICE to generator that charges 60 caps (Two parallel banks of 30 series caps). We will have our capacitor boxes on the side of the car, which will have conduit & cables running to a sealed HV enclosure on the rear of the car. Inside this enclosure will be 2 main fuses and 2 main contactors. We’re running two DC motors on the rear, one for each wheel, and each DC motor has its own controller. Each controller is fed from the HV enclosure on the rear of the car, which receives power from the caps or generator through the main fuse & contactor. (One fuse & one contactor per controller).

As for this rule, I’m a little confused on the extent of the definition of the "energy storage container", and the stipulation that no voltages will be present outside of the containers when the energize signal is interrupted. Does this mean we cannot have any voltage on the leads coming out of our capacitor boxes with the system not energized? Even though those leads are in sealed water tight orange conduit going to a sealed HV box on the rear of the car? Meaning in that case, our fuses & contactors need to physically be inside the cap boxes? Or does this energy storage container definition include our HV interconnect box on the rear of the car since our HV connections are made in this box, and this box gets sealed shut. Therefore in this case the definition for no voltages present outside of the containers when the system isn’t energized mean that there cannot be voltages on our controllers or motors where there’s connections to components external to the sealed HV enclosures?

I emailed this question in last week but never got a response. Thanks for any advice.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:28 pm 

http://www.formula-hybrid.com/forums/vi ... gy+storage

haha so close, yet so far lol. Pretty ironic the same question was asked almost exactly 1 year ago haha.

In speaking with our team from last year, I was informed that the cap boxes & HV enclosure were all together considered the "energy storage container", so the contactors didn't need to physically be in the capacitor boxes, and could be in the sealed HV interconnect box. I just still want to make sure this can pass this year.

Board index » Rules and Regulations » Rules