Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     Formula Hybrid Home Page

Board index » General » Logistics

Post subject: Shipping your car
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:10 pm 

I wanted to see what kind of experience teams had with shipping their car to competition. About how much did it cost? How was the quality as far as care of the package (did anything break in transit), time it took to ship, hassle of delivery, etc. Is it something worth looking into for teams on the west coast, or would you recommend the 60 hour drive with the race trailer?

Post subject: Re: Shipping your car
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:25 pm 

I would definitely recommend the long drive over shipping your car and flying. No better way to spend the 2/3 days before you get to competition. Just think about it, you get more quality time with the same people that you have spent the better part of the year with. Probably 14+hours a day during the months leading up to competition, the same people that you will be working/eating/sleeping/etc. right next to throughout competition, and to top it all off there is the drive back.

I kid a bit and I know that for some that doesn't sound like that much fun but I would say that the time spent driving to/from competition was one of the funnest experiences I have had working on this project; if you enjoy the company of those you will be travelling with that is. But on the other hand if your budget doesn't allow a lot for travel, shipping the vehicle and flying will probably be the better option.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:01 pm 

Shipping a car sounds like a great way for it to be delivered 4 days late and you miss the competition. I'd tow it if possible. If no one has a truck/trailer, a U-Haul/Ryder truck rental can hold a car with a lot of gear.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 pm 

I agree wos, traveling with the team was a fantastic experience. And Mojave, I would not want to leave my baby with a freight company if I would help it. But this last trip cost us a ton of money coming from 60 hours away. I wouldn't mind making the trip again, but we don't have a whole lot of money to work with, so I was just wondering what shipping cost ran other teams, and what experiences they had. We will probably end up driving it again, but it would be nice to put that money towards components rather than gasoline.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 pm 

Yeah I would be very nervous shipping. I would have to give it weeks just for the peace of mind.

I don't know how to contact them but I know the Spanish team this past year used several LARGE crates for all of the equipment they needed. I would see if you could get a hold of them to see how their experience was

We rent a 26' Ryder truck and drive out and some of the team flies but most of the team goes in rental cars.

(We have a jet dragster team with the school. might use their rig this next year.... would be fun to see all ya'll's faces when a trailer with a jet dragster on the side pulls in) :roll:

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." -JC

Board index » General » Logistics